Two sons of Will Gavin - Ralph and Archie. This photo was taken in Bracebridge in the 1980's, perhaps when they attended Charlie Shire's funeral.
BRACEBRIDGE GAZETTE, May 11, 1905 "An event of some interest took place yesterday (Wednesday) when Mr. William Gavin, of Purbrook, and Miss Jessie J. Brewster of the 9th Concession of Draper, joined hands in wedlock. The ceremony took place at the home of the bride's mother, Mrs. Wm. Ashdown, in the presence of a large number of friends, and was performed by Rev. Wm. Sinclair. Miss Maggie Crozier, neice of the bride, was bridesmaid, while the grooms's supporter was Mr. Hector McKay. After the nuptial knot had been tied the assembled guests sat down to the wedding dinner at which short addresses were given and toasts drunk to the health of the newly wedded couple. Mr. & Mrs. Gavin left in the morning for a trip to Thessalon and the Canadian Soo. Upon their return the will reside at Uffington. The large number of presents testify to the high esteem in which the bridal couple are held. Here goes our old shoe."
1911 Census - Draper Twp, Muskoka
(next to Colsen's all living next door to each other)
Gavin, Robert, Head, Apr, 1874, 37
Gavin, Elizabeth, Wife, Jun, 1881, 29
Gavin, Eileen Amy, Dau, Oct, 1905, 5
Gavin, Harvy, Son, May, 1908, 3
Gavin, Clive, Son, Jul, 10/12
Thompson, George, Head, Jun, 1881, 29
Thompson, Jessie, Wife, Aug, 1888, 22
Thompson, Grace Emilia, Dau, Apr, 1909, 2
Thompson, Ruth Alma, Dau, Mar, 1911, 2/12
Gavin, William, Head, May, 1880, 31
Gavin, Jessie Jane, Wife, Dec, 1883, 27
Gavin, John Duncan, Son, May, 1906, 5
Gavin, Ralph, Son, Nov, 1908, 2Gavin,
Gavin, Robert Senr, Father, Apr, 1846, 65
Gavin, Margaret, Mother, Sep, 1846, 64
(Ab Gavin was living in Bracebridge by 1911 census)
Below is a letter written to Margaret Gavin Hammond by her sister-in-law, Mrs. Will Gavin.
Margaret died in April, 1941.
Shanty Bay, February 26, 1940
Dear Maggie,
I was pleased to get your nice newsy letter, so I will try to write a few lines tonight. I have a very poor pen. I hope you will excuse the writing. It is the beginning of Lent, so the winter is passing. We have had some very bad snow storms lately, and we are pretty well snowed in like you are. We have to draw the car to the corner when we want to get out. So that's not so good.
Will and I are alone just now. We had a man all winter. Until a couple of weeks ago (when) he decided to leave. It does get weary in the winter when we are shut in all the time. Did you know that Will and I are grandparents now? Archie's wife had a wee boy born the 9th of October in the Barrie Hospital. He was just five weeks old when they went back up north. He was such a dear wee boy; I missed him so much. They call him William Ronald. Phebe says he looks like his grand dad Gavin. I am looking forward to seeing him in the spring.
Yes, Maggie, I remember the Valentine's party. I was a very young girl then, not more than 15, I believe. Were you married or not? I guess you were. I have forgotten. I never hear from Albert's Sarah either. I sent her a card at Xmas but I never heard from her. She was staying at Albert's the last time she wrote me. They say Rob Crockford and Mrs. Rob are living in Barrie. I don't know where. We have never seen them.
You don't have many cows and horses to look after. Just as well. You will have less work, anyhow. We have seven cows milking and two the calves milk. Will milks two heifers. They take so long I can get the rest milked while he milks them two. Ralph and Bertha are well and getting their home fixed up. They have it quite comfortable. Ralph is so handy at fixing anything up. Well Maggie, it's getting bedtime. Will has finished his _____. We will listen to the news and then to bed.
I won't get this posted for a day or two so I can write a bit more. I guess (Jim?) old ***Mrs. Crittiford went as long as she was able. I am waiting for Will to come in to dinner. I wish you could come and have dinner with us. I have roast pork, apple pudding for dessert and cabbage salad for pickle.
You are lucky you have a nice chap staying with you. The one we had this winter was so bad-tempered we couldn't put up with him,so he got mad one morning and left.
Well Maggie, my dear, I hope you keep well and we may see you when summer comes again. George Thompson said he was going to bring you to see us sometime when he comes down. Remember us to Alf and I hope you both keep well and happy.
Lots of love, sister Jessie
***See November/09 post about Mrs. Cridiford.
Muskoka Herald - Thursday Dec 9, 1946 (1943 in another source)
"On Tuesday, Nov 30, 1946 Wm Gavin of Crown Hill passed away in Barrie Hospital following a short illness caused by heart condition. Mr. Gavin was born in 1880 the son of early pioneers, Margaret Horn and Robert Gavin formerly of Lanark County. He was one of the a family of ten, of whom now only Mr. Albert Gavin of Gordon Lake, and Mrs. Herbert Shire of Draper remain. He lived in Purbrook where as a young man he engaged in lumbering . Mr. Gavin turned to farming in Monck and Crown Hill, successfully. In 1905 he married Jessie Brewster, of Purbrook, also a member of a pioneer family of Draper. To this union were born three sons, John, Ralph and Archie. Mr. Gavin was a man of fine appearance and sterling character. He will always be kindly remembered by his old friends. The funeral took place at the United Church of Crown Hill where he served on the official board and was always in attendance as long as health permitted. Interment was the Union Cemetery of Crown Hill.
